Monday, September 30, 2013

To Mom and Dad 9-30-13

From: "Jacob Shepard" <jacob.shepard@myldsmail.net>
To: "Mom and Dad"
Sent: Monday, September 30, 2013 9:33:54 AM 
Subject: Re: Late Weekly Report of Elder Shepard
Dear Mom and Dad,
                                sometimes I think it depends on where you are with the computers. I´m serving in the 4th Branch in Parnaiba. It´s about 15 minutes by bus from downtown. A lot of the stores are more expensive because of the distance from other stores. It has these smaller stores that are opened out of these houses and there aren´t any professionally owned stores. There were better computers in Camocim, but that´s because we found a better lanhouse. This one is just annoying that´s all.
   Everyday we pray when getting up, before going to sleep, before leaving the house and many other times through out the day. I always thank God for having you all for my Family and ask him to bless you for the sacrifices that you guys are doing. Thank you for everything that you´ve done for me and the e-mails that you are writing.
   Trey is going to turn 19 pretty soon, isn´t he? I know that if he makes it a goal to at least make a few applications for jobs a day, he´ll find work soon. I know that here in Brazil, the people are still learning to do all the right things, like going to activites or Family home evening, but the way that they have fully integrated there lives with the church is amazing. I know that if everyone at home right now trys to do Family home evening, reading the scriptures together and pray together at night, that you all will have the strengh and comfort of the spirit to get through these problems. I love you all and I know things will get better. In 2nd Nephi, Lehi talksof how we need to have an opposition in all things. With this in mind I read Acts 14:22 Paul takes of how we need to pass through trials to enter into the kingdom of God. On top of this, Joseph Smith´s Pray and Answer from God in DC 121 and the following sections have helped me understand how we can work through our problems with the understanding that Jesus knows all of our sufferings because he felt them also. I bear my testimony that our Heavenly Father is very concerned with our lives and happiness and that through him we will get better and do better.
   I just got my hands on the Infinite Atonement by Tad R. Callister, and it´s one of the best books I´ve ever read. I think this time I have on the mission is the only time I will be able to study and learn about the gospel like this. I think some missionaries get home and are unsure what to do because they didn´t keep the habits of the mission and didn´t plan ahead.
   I do get to see confernce live and I´ll be taking notes. I know before the mission I didn´t pay as much attention or thought that it was all that great, but now Conference flys by and I hang on every word. Also, one thing we can do to understand the importance of the Book of Mormon and the Restoration is to read the Book of Mormon cover to cover. The testimonies of Nephi to King Benjamin to Moroni have blessed me here a lot.
   My toe is better and I´ve found some cream for it. It still bugs me, but it`ll get better soon. Parnaiba is bigger then Camocim and it has more wind. We had a record number of people in church a little while ago of 93, but the average number is 70 to 80. How many people go to church at Arlington Heights? Here, a lot of the youth grow up poor, without a mother or father or both, are influenced by violence and drugs in the streets and are living in a pleasure based society. When I see them in church or any one changing their lives, it really is a miracle. I appreciate growing up in the Church, the food, the schools, everything. I love you both, Mom and Dad. Thanks for helping me.
    Love,
            Elder Shepard

No comments:

Post a Comment