Sunday, February 2, 2014

Email from Elder Shepard 2-2-14

Dear Mom and Dad,
                             Elder Mesquita is a member from the piri Piri ward. He is planning on going on a mission after this short time. My president wants him to get all his medical work done and his papers sent out before he leaves so he could be here for 6 weeks or more. He´s 20 years old and he looks like he´s 17. He reminds me a bit of Trey, minus the Fresh Prince haircut. He has a strong testimony but  has a bit of fear to talk to people about the gospel. So far this week I´ve been doing all the talking, but I´m trying to get him to open up. I want to do a lot of practices and teach him the lessons or discussions. He didn´t go to the MTC so he doesn´t know much about how all the Gospel connects. It will all work out, at least I know that.
   I love you very much too. So I´ve been thinking about things I might want and need here on the mission so I made a list. It could be for my Birthday or whenever you guys have the time. So here it is. 
Duck Tape is helpful
One or two nice pens( pens break and explode in shirt pockets too much here)
A tie( i now love ties)
Less important stuff such as:
M´M´s, Kit Kats, 100 Grand Bar, Tootsie Rolls, Andes, Granola Bars, Pop Tarts, Sweet Bay Ray´s Brabecue sauce, Beef Jerky
Any, all or a few of these items would be appreciated. I love all very much too. 
   It´s been between 80 and 110 around here. It´s rained alot too so i think it got down to 70 or 60 here. It felt really cold so I don´t know what I´ll do when I get back. 
   Recently we found a man named Sila. He is a history teacher and is very smart. He used to go to the Assebly of god church for 26 years, but 11 years back he said he lost his faith. So many people were doing bad stuff, at times in the name of God, and he didn´t see God defending the innocent or the reacting to the evil. He didn´t know if God really cared about us any more. This was one of the few people that I really felt like I could teach him about god and it would change his life. One of the elects of our Heavenly Father. We read parts of DC121 and 123 about our suffereing here, Alma 14, Moroni 7, Ether 12. All about faith in God and how miracles come afterwards. we explained how it all ahd a purpose and that God still loves us. He shed a tear or two and said he would reflect more on it later, but we felt the spirit very strongly. I am very happy to be serving here. 
Love,
       Jacob

No comments:

Post a Comment